thinks - retired
Saturday, December 11, 2004
  Perhaps it was on April 3rd from 11:45 to 11:49?
OK, I just read Wil Wheaton's latest entry talking about how funny John Tesh was on VH1's My Coolest Years: The Geeks. Willie, man, are you kidding me? When, ever, has John frickin' Tesh, ever been cool?!?

I'm sorry. I really, really am. I don't usually like to go for the cheap laugh. Waitaminnit! Who am I kidding? Of course I go for the cheap laugh.

I stopped watching VH1 a few years back when I realized that 'Behind the Music' was the story of every guy in every band I ever knew. Y'know, start from nowhere, find fame and fortune, blow it all on blow or hookers, end up being profiled as another jackass that started from nowhere, blew it all to hell, and ended up, essentially, nowhere. Exactly like the guys I knew. Except for the fame and fortune part.

So, what does any of this have to do with "technology, society and culture, and..."? Actually, more than I thought when I started this post. It's interesting to me how a former child star can find fame, and at least a little fortune, talking about whatever interests him. David Weinberger is supposed to have said, "In the blogosphere, everyone’s famous for 15 people." And really, isn't that what I'm doing too? Just trying to find my 15 minutes, or my 15 people, or maybe 3 people for 5 minutes each? What's to prevent anyone, anywhere from finding their little slice of fame, fortune, notoriety? Even if it's just to a little slice of the world?

Marketers talk about differentiation and finding attributes that can be owned in the minds of consumers. Blogs are all about differentiation. If marketers are correct, blogs are the ideal way to connect to a target audience. The people who manage to get their blogs in front of their audience most effectively will be the media sensations of the future. Well, a very small sensation anyway.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
What I think about technology, society, and culture, and what happens when those things intersect.

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 /


Powered by Blogger