thinks - retired
Sunday, February 13, 2005
  To blog or not to blog...
With all due apolgies to Big Will, now, there's a question. It seems that Google, who pride themselves on their "Do No Evil" philosophy, fired one of their employees for comments on his blog. I have no idea if they were right or wrong to do it (the specifics, so far, being fairly non-specific). I do think it raises some interesting problems for companies regarding their policies on blogging.

Personally, I avoid mixing the business where I work with my pleasure of doing this blog. While some bloggers feel it's their ethical responsibility to air their workplace's dirty laundry on the Internet to force changes in the environment, I feel it's my ethical responsibility to keep things "in the family." Employers hire employees to do a job. In my case, I was not hired to write publicly about the company or what I do there. That, and the fact that I have a better shot of making anyplace I work a better place if I actually get to work there makes it the right call for me. 'Nuff said.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
What I think about technology, society, and culture, and what happens when those things intersect.

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 /


Powered by Blogger