thinks - retired
Thursday, August 11, 2005
  OK, so I fell off the planet again...
Still, there's interesting news in the world of intellectual property and what I'm allowed to watch on what player in the privacy of my own home. Bastards. Check out this column on Engadget regarding format wars and what drives them these days. How's this for an idea? How about we get the opportunity to watch what we want, when we want, and where we want, for a single, reasonable fee? Once I've paid for it, I want to be able to watch it on the television in my family room, bedroom, or on my laptop without having to pay multiple times for it. Hell, most of it's not worth paying for once (see recent box office receipts for evidence of that). How about this for an idea? How about we stop buying the nonsense that Hollywood produces? Look what happens to companies like Dreamworks Animation when their media doesn't produce like it's supposed to. And that's with a hit like "Shrek 2" not selling enough DVD's Imagine if they were producing crap like "The Island" or something. To paraphrase Obi-wan, "Who's the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who pays repeatedly to watch the fool's really bad movies?"
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
What I think about technology, society, and culture, and what happens when those things intersect.

ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 /


Powered by Blogger